12.22.2011

i won a writing contest!

The challenge was to write a short (<250 words) story about what's going on in this image by photographer Catherine Sebastian. The contest was judged by author Martha Frankel.
Here's the photo, and my entry:
©Catherine Sebastian/ CSP Images

In Yellow

She always loved him in yellow. In Venice, when he stood up and took off his jacket and sang an aria from Rigoletto. That jacket, handloomed tweed of wool and silk, sitting at the bottom of the boat with the moon pulling yellow from its weave, that same jacket they would spread on the grass in a secluded patch of Parco delle Rimembranze and make love. In his kitchen in Cambridge, equipped with minimal tools, where, in his yellow floral apron that he claimed once belonged to Julia Child, he turned out a meal of such delicacy that no future meal could ever measure close.

That was the yellow she loved him in. Before she knew he could sing, and cook; before she knew he could kill.

The piano wire is still hanging from his hand. His shirt lustrous through the numbing water of the pool, her consciousness vague after the garotting, she looks up and sees, finally, that yellow makes his ass look fat.
_________________________________________________

I can't tell you how nice this looks on my wall. Thank you Catherine. Thank you Martha. It was a blast!

6 comments:

  1. Well done, genius. I love stories that end in an act of revenge. I'm assuming it was La Donna e Mobile--but that's only a guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never get tired of reading this piece! It is vivid and emotionally jarring. I think she deserved it. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an excellent weave... The ending had me seeing yelllow in anger and finally as laughed so hard my pants turned that humbling shade of yellow as I laughed so hard I peed my pants... Thank, Dave fellow product of Woodstock in the 70's...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jimmy and Cheryl!
    Debbie, of course it was. What else would it be?
    Thanks Anon. Sorry about your pants.

    ReplyDelete